Poll: What value will we get in return for AJ McCarron?
Top 5 pick
Top 15 pick
Top 30 pick
2nd rounder
Two 2nd rounders
1st and 2nd round pick
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do we deserve for AJ McCarron?
(12-18-2016, 03:31 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you count the Steelers game as a "start", then Mac made 5 starts including the playoff game. I like you man, but McCarron did not play well in the playoff game. I don't see anyone outside of these boards claiming McCarron had a good playoff game. It was awful honestly. Did he lead a couple good drives late? Sure. But if he'd not been so dreadful for the first 3.5 quarters, we could've ran away with that game. The defense had an absolutely heroic effort...allowing only 15 points to perhaps the best offense in the NFL. McCarron blew it by not being able to put up points against an abysmal defense. 

Jimmy is the superior prospect. A 2nd round pick with a better arm. He actually made things happen (4 TDs and over 450 yards in his 2 starts last year, 30+ points both times), whereas Mac played game manager. Mac played that role well, but it's different than what Garrappolo was asked to do. Jimmy looked more like a guy who may be a future franchise QB.

Now maybe Mac is capable of doing that, but it's not what Hue asked him to do. Hue basically treated him like he wanted to prevent him from making mistakes and let the team lead him to victory, rather than vice versa.

I hear you, but Garappolo had a very small sample size and got two teams (AZ and Miami) that struggled mightily early this year.  He played well enough to win the playoff game, and we can't really hold the QB accountable for the game plan, can we?  That is what Marv does in big games.  Try and keep it close so they can win in the end by a FG.  I hate it, but that is his track record.  AJ couldn't alter that and I loved that he made some really big throws with so much on the line at the end. 

I am not arguing that AJM is a better prospect, but there has to be some weighting to the coaching they were given and the fact that Garappolo had all off-season to prepare for the start of the season without Brady, whereas AJM was thrown in at the time of an injury.

I really like him and hope he gets a shot somewhere, but it has to be a REALLY good offer.  To your point on another post:  if the Pats are going to sign him long term, that improves AJMs value because it is one less QB on the market.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do we deserve for AJ McCarron? - SHRacerX - 12-18-2016, 11:41 AM