Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle and the minimum wage increase
(07-21-2015, 02:30 PM)GMDino Wrote: I followed much the same path...including three years at McDonalds.  A degree that allowed me to get a job within my studies and then gradually moving out of that business to where I am now over 7-8 years.

And now I've been at the same job for 18 years and make a decent salary plus commission.  But over the last few years new ownership has changed the commission and I'm making less than I was 5-6 years ago.  I'm not doing anything different.  Job responsibilities have increased but pay is lower. And if I lost my job tomorrow?  Walmart I guess?  Just to get by?  

You don't just start over somewhere at the same place you left off.  And at 45 can I make it back up before I die?  Or will I be let go at 60 for making too much when then can hire someone younger for a lot less.  Too many companies don't care about your experience as much as they care about how little they can get away with paying you in my experience.

Do you have no savings? I don't, but that's my own fault. If I lost my job tomorrow, yeah, if I had to, I'd go to Walmart or work a minimum wage job ALL THE WHILE LOOKING FOR A JOB THAT SUITS MY SKILL LEVEL. But, it'd be MY fault for not being prepared for such an eventuality.

5 years ago, I quit my job for personal reasons. 3 months later, I found a job that suit my skills that was NOT a minimum wage job. I moved to a different state for better living arrangements and again within 3 months found a non-minimum wage job. I quit that job because I finally found the job that I'm currently working. My employable skill set is not exactly unique yet I was able to find a  job within a relatively short time. All this while I was in my mid-30s.

Anyway, the point being that while there are exceptions, by and large, if you're making minimum wage and you're not a teenager or a retiree, then that's generally your own fault for the decisions you made in life.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seattle and the minimum wage increase - PhilHos - 07-22-2015, 12:15 PM