Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Philosophy Changes Needed
(12-19-2016, 02:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Bengals need some philosophy changes both in management and coaching:

1 ) On defense, we add personnel that fit more with the 90's AFC Central/North than the current NFL. The NFL is more of a passing league. We need faster LB's that can run, cover, and pass rush. Guys like Maualuga don't fit anymore.

2 ) We need safeties that can cover passes. That's why we miss Reggie. Williams is a decent run stopper, but poor in pass coverage.

3 ) We need to start investing more heavily in the offensive line and defensive line...including Center. Give a QB time to throw and he'll look good. Give the RB some holes and he'll look good. Games are won and lost in the trenches...especially in the playoffs.

4 ) Stop playing the weak zone coverage. Good QB's can pick that apart. Couple that with your unathletic LB's and Safeties that can't cover passes...and it's a recipe for disaster.

5 ) Lets start signing a couple free agent upgrades. I get it...the Bengals don't like playing rookies and younger players...so sign a couple veterans at positions of need! Everyone sees the massive contracts on the 1st day of free agency, but there are some reasonable free agent upgrades that can be had. It's a myth that external free agents are riskier than internal ones...especially considering a new coach will change our system anyways.

6 ) Use the 1st Round of the draft to upgrade 1 starting position each year instead of drafting a guy who will sit for 2-3 years and then replace a free agent that you can't afford to keep.

7 ) Start bringing back former Bengal starts to be closer to the team. This will build the culture over time.

I agree with the need for speedier LBs, but I think they will still be in nickel the majority of the time so I would place even greater emphasis on your second point, which is a safety that can be more of a nickel backer.  I like Josh Shaw a lot, but I can't help but wonder if Shaw shouldn't be the safety and Williams more of a nickel backer.  Or draft a speedy LB that is only about 220 or so like Sua Cravens that can cover TEs and get deep much better than our current options. 

I like the idea or bringing former Bengals closer and I wish for a Ring of Honor every year.  

I think with better pressure from the RDE spot and the rotational guys like Billings and Hardison getting push next to Geno will solve a lot of issues on defense.  The interior of the offensive line is the biggest issue now.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Philosophy Changes Needed - THE PISTONS - 12-19-2016, 02:21 PM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - Pat5775 - 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - Crowe - 12-19-2016, 04:52 PM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - Crowe - 12-20-2016, 10:18 AM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - 3wt - 12-22-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - Daddy-O - 12-22-2016, 11:09 AM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - SHRacerX - 12-20-2016, 08:40 AM
RE: Philosophy Changes Needed - grampahol - 12-22-2016, 11:31 PM