Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Huizenga says people must be responsible for own health care costs
(12-20-2016, 12:24 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Have you ever filled a prescription and asked, "Why does this cost so much?"  And heard, "You haven't met your deductible, yet."

Deductibles are factored into every visit.  If you're paying a co-pay that is because you have already met your deductible.

http://www.bcbsm.com/index/health-insurance-help/faqs/topics/how-health-insurance-works/deductibles-coinsurance-copays.html

My biggest complaint regarding health insurance is the companies intentionally make it as complicated as possible so the average consumer doesn't understand what the hell is going on.  I have to deal with various plans from multiple providers from different states every week for the past 12 years and what I don't know about insurance greatly exceeds what I do know.  And I know more than the average consumer.

I had shoulder surgery last year.  I asked, "What are my total out of pocket expenses?"  I was told $1054.  Insurance would cover the rest.  I received one bill in excess of $3800.  That doesn't even include the bill for the anesthegiologist which was close to $1000.  When I called I was told I called the wrong place.  I had called the clinic and need to call the surgery center.  The "clinic" and the "surgery" center are under the same roof, same building, same doctors.  The clinic is in the front, surgery center in the back.  But, they each have separate billing departments and the clinic couldn't help me with surgery center billing questions and vice versa.  When I contacted the surgery center's billing department, I was told I was given an "estimate" and the total cost isn't always the same as the estimate.

To me, that's like asking, "How much to buy this truck?"

"Oh, $30,000."

Then getting a bill in the mail for $90,000.

And of course I was paying my monthly premiums and co-pays.
This is a huge part of the problem.

We need to move towards a free market, in regards to health care.
This is one thing that Trump picked up from Johnson, to take back some voters.
He's spoke about insurers across state lines and pharmaceuticals from Canada (like his word means much though).
I am cautiously optimistic, only because he brought a few Libertarians onboard.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bill Huizenga says people must be responsible for own health care costs - Rotobeast - 12-20-2016, 12:48 PM