Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to agitate some people?
(12-26-2016, 12:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, you decided to grow one of those trendy little hipster beards?  How 2011 of you!  Hilarious

Funny.

You may enjoy this article:

http://www.esquire.com/style/grooming/q-and-a/a41359/of-beards-and-men/

It touches on not only your 2011 hipsters and goes all the way back to Alexander the Great to offer some observations about when beards have been "in" and when they have been "out" and why. 

The article also points out that even with the 2011 trend you allude to, as well as the urban lumberjacks that someone else posted a meme of, and the last few seasons' explosion of athletes growing beards, to have a beard in our culture still puts you firmly in the minority. So, the notion that the grower of a beard is a conformist following the latest trend seems misguided. The latest trend is to be clean shaven and it has been for some time, and the vast majority seem to feel a strong compulsion to conform. This seems to explain some of the harsh reactions I have received from men and from women, and in at least one case a heterosexual couple.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Want to agitate some people? - xxlt - 12-25-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: Want to agitate some people? - xxlt - 12-26-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Want to agitate some people? - xxlt - 12-26-2016, 09:48 AM
RE: Want to agitate some people? - xxlt - 12-26-2016, 10:35 AM
RE: Want to agitate some people? - xxlt - 12-26-2016, 01:32 PM
RE: Want to agitate some people? - Stewy - 12-26-2016, 04:56 PM
RE: Want to agitate some people? - Beaker - 12-29-2016, 12:56 PM