Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 3 Great Ironies of Wealth Inequality
(12-30-2016, 12:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This idea "assimilation" takes "generations" is good for a chuckle.

I have more of an accent than my wife because I grew up in the south . . . of Ohio.  I sound like I'm from Kentucky.

Accents are an interesting thing.  My father was from Pittsburgh but he made the conscious decision to NOT speak like he was and to use proper grammar, despite the fact that he wasn't overly educated, etc.  It's a legitimate choice, in some senses because he had friends and even siblings who said "Yinz" and "I just seen" and some who didn't.  They were all from the same place and they had all the same level of education and "worldliness."

I work in a rather rural place in western PA and I have coworkers who says things like "I just seen" and we all know that isn't the proper grammatical tense (or whatever it is) but some people make the change and some don't.  To each his own, but I do find it interesting that some people adapt and some don't. I assume we all know, academically speaking, the basic rules of double-negatives and improper tenses, but some people feel compelled to change and some feel compelled not to change. It seems more cultural than academic, but that's just my take.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 3 Great Ironies of Wealth Inequality - Nately120 - 12-31-2016, 02:19 PM