Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Bengals: Running Back
I thought this might be a fun way to address off-season needs and the draft by analyzing the position groups one-by-one. I don't want to do one every day, so I will give a few days for this subject (RB) and once it appears to be a dead thread I will start a new position group.

Here goes the first one: I choose RB because it should be fresh in everyone's mind what we just saw out of Rex.

I look at the Bengals current stock of running backs (Hill, Gio, Rex, Peerman...Tra Carson, last game PS acquistion) and I immediately question why in the hell the Bengals running game is so poor. Before everyone begins shouting obscenities at Ogbuehi and Bodine, I think it is much more than just that.

Sure, the lack of good blocking on the offensive line was a contributing factor, but it is only a piece of the puzzle. I look at the RBs and I see two players with a similar skill set, a special teamer, and Hill. Hill stands out because he is a "bigger back" and should be able to hit the hold hard and get the tough yards on third and two, but he simply isn't that player. He has seemingly lost his burst and before anyone quotes the YPC for Hill and Gio being similar, if you take away the performances against Cleveland where I think any of the RBs could have had a field day, Hill likely averaged under 3 YPC. That is just awful.

Hill is also not a very good route runner, unlike Gio and Rex. Hill also struggles in picking up the blitz.

This isn't meant to be a 'Hill-bashing" post, but here is what I am trying to illustrate and here is my solution: When Hill is on the field, it is usually going to be as a rushing threat. Much more than as a receiver. The defense knows that. With Gio and Rex, they can be either a rush threat or a significant downfield receiving threat. That predictability can be solved by replacing Hill with another back similar to Gio and Rex. Rotate all three of them to keep them fresh, and the playbook should not be limited when those three would be in the game. Peerman is obviously just special teams (and a damn good one at that) but he doesn't enter game plan discussions as a RB. One other way to help with the offensive line issues with players already on the roster is more utilization of two TE sets, where one TE can stay in to help block, but must be accounted for as a potential receiving target. A healthy Uzomah, Croft, and Eifert could all be very effective used in this role.

If the big 3 of DEs are gone by selection #9. Should the Bengals draft Delvin Cook?

Remember, the running game is probably the Bengals single greatest weakness. This would solve it essentially overnight.

Furthermore, I like the idea of getting Rex and even Gio some snaps at WR when Cook would be on the field. It just creates more mismatches against LBs.

Thoughts?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
State of the Bengals: Running Back - SHRacerX - 01-02-2017, 11:39 AM