Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wall Street Journal Editor Says His Newspaper Won’t Call Donald Trump’s Lies ‘Lies’
(01-02-2017, 05:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with all of these statements.  When media that wishes to be considered trustworthy gatekeepers of information to the people, begins to add opinion and lead the reader to think one direction or the other, they lose that credibility to be trusted in delivering the news.

I think a lot of the criticism (and deservedly so) in maintstream media comes from editorializing things, mainly with television and radio. MSNBC and Fox get lumped into as media gone to the extreme, but their actual news isn't that bad. Fox News and MSNBC do pretty decent jobs covering stories (mostly because the news is coming from reporters who are doing the work, they just aren't doing the smiling on television or have the voice for radio). But both of them don't define the lines well enough with commentators.

It used to be each network had a personality or two that was ultra conservative or ultra liberal and they just talked out their ass to fill an hour, appealing to a specific market. Then both those networks got more of those commentators. Then they let the commentary spill over into the news reporting. So the story is still clean and factual, but the they let the personalities make their own personal statement after.

Granted, I'm biased to print, but one thing I like about it is there isn't that blur. There's commentary sections labeled as commentary and news labeled as news and you don't find one in the other.  Television and radio aren't making that distinction.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wall Street Journal Editor Says His Newspaper Won’t Call Donald Trump’s Lies ‘Lies’ - Benton - 01-02-2017, 08:01 PM