Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hard telling who we draft off of Marvin's words
If Robinson is there, I think you take him. This is reportedly a weak OL draft and we desperately need a better OT at LT. Whitworth is likely gone and neither Ogbuehi or Fisher can man LT right now.

Take a guy who was actually productive at LT in college for an elite program. Both Ogbuehi and Fisher were busts before they were even drafted. I still remember balking at the Ogbuehi selection. Landon Collins, Shane Ray, DJ Humphries and even Bud Dupree would have been better selections than a guy who is coming off of a major injury who had notable struggles at LT during college, as he was near the top of the list in terms of sacks allowed in 2014 in the SEC...

I wanted to be optimistic and was hoping all his flaws could be worked out with coaching but then it struck me this year...our coaches are awful.

I mean, look at these weaknesses:
Functional power and anchor are legitimate concerns. Technique flaws make pass protection harder than it has to be. Football leverage isn't as good as expected. Doesn't play with enough bend at impact. His punch in pass pro can be woefully mistimed and he plays with wide hands and some wasted motion in setup. Base tends to narrow when pass rush gets to his high side. Not a powerful tackle and won't generate much push as in-line blocker. Was one of the SEC leaders in sacks allowed in 2014. Tore his ACL in Aggies' bowl game, and won't be able to go through a full pre-draft workout for NFL personnel men.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/cedric-ogbuehi?id=2552355

He hasn't improved on a single one of those things in 2 years. He still has miserable hand placement, punch and wasted motion.

And Fisher is no better. Not only did he come from the least pro ready offense in the entire country, in Oregon, but he also was noted for how many penalties he drew and, surprise surprise, his weaknesses are remarkably similar to Ogbuehi's...lacks power, poor technique, bad hands...

I remember being horrified at the reports that we liked him and were considering him in the first round. Thankfully, we didn't take him in the first, though I wouldn't be surprised if we did had Ogbuehi not been there for some reason.

Enough of these weakling OTs. We were the most successful we've ever been since 1989 because of Whitworth and Smith at OT. 2 big, powerful, strong road graders. Let's not move away from that now. I understand we may need to deal with Ogbuehi or Fisher at one of the spots, but we cannot allow them to take both spots.

Leading up to this draft, I was pretty confident that we'd re-sign Whitworth, but if we are unable to, we absolutely can not leave LT in the hands of these two colossal **** ups of Fisher and Ogbuehi. We need an actually talented player. And if that means drafting Robinson at LT...then so be it. It worked out pretty well for Baltimore and Ronnie Stanley. You can start a rookie at LT if they are truly talented. And that is Robinson in this draft.

It wouldn't be a slam dunk pick, as there are weaknesses in his game, but nothing even close to the weaknesses that Ogbuehi and Fisher exhibit even now.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: hard telling who we draft off of Marvin's words - CJD - 01-03-2017, 10:42 AM