Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the Bengals: Running Back
(01-03-2017, 03:24 PM)3wt Wrote: I think the question is do we really believe Rex is better than Hill.  Watching over the last two years I have to say yes.  Hill has some fine skills.  He's a 240 lb back who has an extra gear in the open field.  But if you want a back who averages 4-5 yards a carry on a consistent basis resulting in third and short situations, is an accomplished receiver and is good in blitz pickups I have to say Burkhead is the better back.   He just seems to see the field better and make better decisions.

To me you pay the guy, start the guy and see how Hill plays when he's healthy and is filling in.  Reverse their roles for a season and see how it pans. 

I don't buy the fresh legs excuse here as Hill struggled from the very start of the season.

I don't think that Burkhead is a great back.   But I think he's a good back you can rely on in all facets of the game.

1. I asked if Rex was better than Gio because everyone loves to bring up Hill and ignore that Gio averaged 3.7 YPC himself. I believe there are 2 reasons people ignore Gio's poor rushing performance. (A) People like Gio and (B) Gio not running well doesn't help the "it's all Hill's fault" argument.

2. Yes Hill had fresh legs at the beginning of the season. He also averaged 4.6 YPC through his first 10 games (same as Burkhead), and he did it against competition that was also fresh - unlike Burkhead.

-----------------

Look, I'm all for Burkhead getting a shot. I don't play favorites. I just don't think fixing the run game will be as simple as making Hill and Burkhead swap roles. The run game has been broken for a long long time. One good game where Burkhead got the majority of carries isn't enough evidence for me. People should pump the brakes a little IMO.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: State of the Bengals: Running Back - Shake n Blake - 01-03-2017, 04:44 PM