Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Anybody grow up with a future pro?
Frank Lickliter was on the golf team at Wright State University when I was an undergraduate; I think he was a year ahead of me academically but light years ahead of me on the golf course. I wasn't on the team -- physics majors don't have time for sports and due to health issues I couldn't have passed an NCAA sports physical at the time anyway -- but Frank and I had the same swing coach. We did play practice rounds together but even on my best day and on his worst day, I couldn't beat him or even scare him. Back then I could shoot in the 70s but that's not Tour quality; Frank could go really low! If you can imagine shooting 77 and getting beat by at least ten shots, well, that's what it's like being on the course with a future pro.

What I remember most about Frank Lickliter was how physically strong he was which was a gift I've never had. In fact, we both played Mizuno irons and like most good players I needed a firm shaft to keep the ball going straight but Frank's irons had the stiffest shafts available. He let me hit a shot with one of his irons and it was like swinging with all my might at one of those cement tee markers. He was a long hitter; I was way above average with respect to distance back then but Frank had an extra fifty yards off the tee any time he needed it.

Frank won on the PGA Tour which didn't surprise me at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Anybody grow up with a future pro? - McC - 01-04-2017, 04:11 PM
RE: Anybody grow up with a future pro? - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-05-2017, 11:54 AM