Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to gain our identity back, and then take that step forward (full offseason plan)
(01-09-2017, 06:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ugh, where to begin..

Whenever you have to change out more than one part of a cohesive unit, such as an OL, it takes time to get all 5 pieces working in sync again.  Unless you're the New England Patriots coaching staff, you never want to change out more than one moving part each year.  The toughest issue to conquer, is changing out Center, as we really don't have anyone better than Bodine up to speed.  Yes, I know they went radical, and plugged Bodine in as a rookie.  That was the anomaly for the Bengals, as Bodine never has seemed to not get buried by 3-4 NTs.

As the situation stands, the Bengals are screwed.  The best case scenario that I can come up with would be to sign Whit and Zeitler, cut losses on Ogbuehi, keep Fisher at RT, draft the best C available, that can handle huge guys one on one, to compete with Bodine, and draft both a Tackle and a Guard to develop.

I don't think they're screwed.  Chemistry is very important to the OL, but the group is in flux as it is you're just looking for the best plan going forward even if it is messy.  I hope they retain Zeitler, but if they don't then you have to replace him as well.  So things could get messy, but if they're going to use a big asset on OL historically they go tackle.   Maybe they end up with a guy like Pocic Elflein but a weak FA market may lead a team to take them earlier than Cincy's 2nd possibly.  So a plan with a descent FA center would be nice, and I doubt they cut bait on Ced yet. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to gain our identity back, and then take that step forward (full offseason plan) - phil413 - 01-11-2017, 05:06 AM