Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2017 Bengal Defense Strategies and Plans
(01-11-2017, 03:00 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Defense-looks-to-roll-16-into-17/c86538af-095d-4c69-af36-c226d1bb81f8

Interesting interview with Guenther.

Here are some things I took note of from the interview:

Quote:Now the Bengals have to figure out how to keep the momentum flowing into next season by cobbling together their strengths (the lowest three-year scoring period in club history and a three-year total of 58 interceptions that leads the  league) while improving a fading pass rush and depth chart that is long in the tooth in some key areas.

There's no mention that Reggie Nelson really helped push that number up two of those 3 years.

Quote:No. 1 we have to do a good job identifying players that fill our needs.

I took this to mean that they need to do a better job of this, unlike what they did with several past draft picks, such has Still, Hunt and Thompson, etc, etc.

He does go on to say that the system will produce interceptions if the players do the scheme.

Quote:If you try to force it in practice, like interceptions, and we do all those drills all the time, but if you force it in practice sometimes guys get out of position to go get the ball and they give up the big one. My belief is always if you’re using the proper technique and the proper fundamentals and your eyes are in the right place and you just follow the scheme, the interceptions will come. It’s been proven now for three years.

Then there's this:

Quote:GH: Theoretically you could line up with Billings, Jackson, and Vigil as Opening Day starters.

PG: They very well could. Time will tell. But they have to earn their way like everybody else.

Too bad that "earn their way" policy doesn't extend to the OL.  Smirk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 Bengal Defense Strategies and Plans - BengalChris - 01-11-2017, 09:11 PM