Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Police Departments facing recruit shortages
http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21713898-stronger-economy-partly-blame-police-departments-struggle-recruit-enough

Even though the article says the economy is only partly to blame, I still think they're overstating its impact on new recruits #s. The economy may be doing well as a whole, but people are still struggling. It feels like we never really left the recession.

That leaves the other 2 causes the article lists: The perception of increased danger and increased and sometimes ridiculous scrutiny towards cops. Say "it's not as dangerous" all you want, that doesn't change that it's getting MORE DANGEROUS.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a public servant. **** that. I can make more in the private sector and answer to myself and my boss; I'm not answering to a public sphere filled with smug morons who think they have all the answers.

That is....unless you're willing to compensate me adequately for it.

Incentives matter. The answer to this shortage in cops is increased wages, plain and simple. People are still struggling out here.

But until people figure this out and actually raise cop wages, it's still a mediocre to shit job where you devote your life to a public sphere of idiots.

This is coming from someone who doesn't have the greatest history with cops. But nowadays when I get pulled over, I don't just get a bit uneasy when that new recruit pulls me over.

I also think he's dumb and hopelessly naive.

Messages In This Thread
Police Departments facing recruit shortages - THE Bigzoman - 01-11-2017, 10:45 PM