Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Trumps economic plan work?
(01-23-2017, 11:03 AM)hollodero Wrote: I heard China will greatly benefit from that since they were excluded from TPP. You're out, they might be in. Which is a bit the difference between that and NAFTA - NAFTA would not make much sense without the US, TTP might. And not liking trade agreements and not being part of them when they form without you might be two different things after all.

Was he though? Unemployment in 1993 was 6.9%, in 2000 it dropped to 4%. So there's that.
The rise afterwards might not be NAFTA after all. Or it might, what do I know. Just the numbers aren't really there. You're now back to 5.3% and NAFTA's still there.

It's similar to shortsightedness on every issue, be it political, economocial, scientific and whatnot. Men is short-sighted and nothing probably can ever change that except for a largely increased life span. I'd guess.
Guess CEOs don't really have a choice, though. I just wonder why the "unanticipated focus on quarterly statements by corporate boards" should shape policies. I saw your reason, I get it, but I still wonder. Wondered since the financial crisis, actually. Since that time I really don't want economy to dictate policies and politics no questions asked.

We wouldn't want that regarding climate change :) Although many would.

Good analysis. I always enjoy your perspective, particularly your humility in spite of your obvious intelligence: rare pairing...

China may benefit, and I see your point - I think - but I am not sure a China win means a US loss in this case, right?

Unemployment numbers tell part of the story, as I am sure you know, and wages tell another part: wages here have been flat or declining since long before 1993 (13 years before to be exact, when America elected the greatest president of all time, or the botchulism of presidents depending on your perspective - bet you can guess what side of that debate I am on, lol).

I was really glad when I started to take an interest in economics a few years ago. I think economics should be more of a driver and not less of a driver of policy - but not the sort of economics that have ruled this country for decades (aka voodoo economics). I enjoy reading Yves Smith, Paul Krugman, and Joseph Stiglitz as well as listening to the weekly show done by Richard Wolff called Economic Update. If you have time to check any of them out, you may be sympathetic to my point of view. You can check out some of Richard's broadcasts here: http://www.rdwolff.com/
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
Can Trumps economic plan work? - hollodero - 01-09-2017, 11:50 PM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-23-2017, 10:21 AM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-23-2017, 01:46 PM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-23-2017, 05:02 PM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-24-2017, 10:29 AM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-25-2017, 08:35 PM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-24-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - jason - 01-26-2017, 12:18 AM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-26-2017, 03:12 PM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - xxlt - 01-26-2017, 08:34 PM
RE: Can Trumps economic plan work? - jason - 01-26-2017, 04:10 PM