Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Brady and Andy Dalton against Texans
(01-25-2017, 03:07 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Posts like this just make you sound bitter and take away from some of your more realistic posts. Since when is there something called an "MVP also-ran"? As if writers just threw in some random scrubs to round out their lists. C'mon man...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/nfl-awards-watch--cam-newton-or-tom-brady-for-nfl-mvp--224901749.html

Sure, down the stretch it looked like Newton and Brady were the front runners. That doesn't mean guys like Palmer, Dalton and Wilson weren't within striking distance. They were, and there's zero reason to believe Dalton would've inexplicably fallen apart down the stretch.

That's not me saying Dalton was a front runner for MVP, but to even be in the discussion (top 5) means he had a damn fine season and to shrug that off as not even an MVP worthy season is kinda silly. He was on pace for 4100+ yards, over 35 TDs with the 2nd best rating in the NFL on one of the top teams. Yes it was MVP "worthy" in most given years. 

As for the oline stuff, I'll reverse your question. How many QBs would look great with the blocking and situations Dalton dealt with this season? I'd say 4-5. Dalton performed how I'd expect a 10-12 (good, not elite) type of QB to perform in a poor sitch. It's the type of season Matt Ryan had last year and he arguably had better circumstamces...easily.

(01-25-2017, 03:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Yup...pretty much.

Ok turnabout is fair play...
Post thike this make people look unrealistic and desperate to give undue adulation, they devalue your more credible post. 

Here is more accurate article written at the end of the season by an actual organization that focuses on NFL strictly rather than pulling info from the AP (like Yahoo). BTW it was Newton & Palmer who battled it out for MVP as you can see. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000612792/article/cam-newton-carson-palmer-top-list-of-mvp-candidates

I used the term "also ran" because if you are not in the serious part of the discussion you are not really in the discussion. You act as if there is not this type of labeling...look to the bottom of the list...there is the top 10 (including Andy...so kudos for that) then there are the "Honorable Mention"...same meaning different term. 

So to your question, Yes they throw in a bunch of names to keep fans interested in it. So people can say "my guy was a MVP candidate" sound familiar? They start the honorable mention/aslo rans at #11 it really starts wherever the relevant race for MVP ends. 

I am not sure why you and others are so sensitive to the facts about Dalton being a mid-tier QB. I can explain why I am so sensitive to comments saying he is a Top Tier QB who can take a team with holes in it to a Super Bowl. Because he can't and he works for an organization that will always have a team with holes in it...including coaching holes. 

He is not a better QB than Anderson, Boomer or Palmer and those guys could not do it. Dalton has had the most complete team for the longest time of any of those mentioned and has not even been relevant in the playoffs. All of those QB's (Dalton included) could win the Super Bowl on many of the Pats or Steelers squads of the past...that is not the point. The point is Dalton needs a better surrounding cast than any of those QB's or any of the Current TOP 5-6 playing today. The organization will not give him that surrounding cast...they never have and never will. 

I think a major disconnect for any of us is what our standards are. I think the most ardent Dalton supporters would say he consistently falls in a range from #7-25. I think the most critical of Dalton posters would say he consistently falls in the range from #7-25. The argument stems from what do you call mid-tier....only here is mid-tier precisely #16...lol!

Andy is not in the Top 20%....he is not in the Bottom 20%...he is in the middle 60%. He is mid-tier period. He does not possess the physical skills or the leadership skills to advance a team deep into the playoffs with holes and subpar coaching. I know this because he has not done it and until he does my statement is fact and anything to the contrary is hope. 

Remember this all started because the OP made an insinuation that Dalton=Brady. One that he and everyone who agreed with him have since backed off of or have deflected the discussion a different direction. 

I respect your position but feel it is flawed by the heart of a loyal fan. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tom Brady and Andy Dalton against Texans - Rhinocero23 - 01-25-2017, 11:21 AM