Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOD COPS: NEW MOTTO GRACES POLICE CARS
(07-26-2015, 01:45 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I've already read that article and the title itself says it should "go the way of the confederate flag."  The article itself talks about banning it from cinemas.  

He says the flag has gone the way of only being in museums.

Quote:If the Confederate flag is finally going to be consigned to museums as an ugly symbol of racism, what about the beloved film offering the most iconic glimpse of that flag in American culture?

I’m talking, of course, about “Gone with the Wind,’’ which won a then-record eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture of 1939, and still ranks as the all-time North American box-office champ with $1.6 billion worth of tickets sold here when adjusted for inflation.

[Image: gwtw2.jpg?w=300&h=200]
Fred Crane (from left), Vivien Leigh and George Reeves in the 1939 classic “Gone with the Wind.”Photo: Everett Collection

True, “Gone with the Wind’’ isn’t as blatantly and virulently racist as D.W. Griffith’s “Birth of a Nation,’’ which was considered one of the greatest American movies as late as the early 1960s, but is now rarely screened, even in museums.

That studio sent “Gone with the Wind’’ back into theaters for its 75th anniversary in partnership with its sister company Turner Classic Movies in 2014, but I have a feeling the movie’s days as a cash cow are numbered. It’s showing on July 4 at the Museum of Modern Art as part of the museum’s salute to the 100th anniversary of Technicolor — and maybe that’s where this much-loved but undeniably racist artifact really belongs.

This isn't demanding it get banned...its not calling for burning of all copies.

Quit exaggerating.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

Messages In This Thread
RE: GOD COPS: NEW MOTTO GRACES POLICE CARS - GMDino - 07-26-2015, 01:49 PM