Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Brady and Andy Dalton against Texans
I think I agree with most of Rhinocero23's post, except I would say this. I don't believe there are more than 2-3 QB's in the league right now who have the swagger that was mentioned in his post, so it's not necessarily something that is the main factor (although for the ones who have it, it helps greatly - e.g. Brady, Rodgers, and maybe Roethlisberger). I guess I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but here's the main point: Andy could develop this swagger if/once he actually wins a super bowl, as these other QB's probably didn't get to their swaggering, until well after their success had been established and they had that ring in the bag. I do agree that Andy does not have the physical skill to simply take a game over or win a game all by himself, like some of these others can, but the swagger doesn't necessarily require this. It simply needs Super bowl success and the firm knowledge that you've been there before, you know what it takes, you're known as a winner and you can leverage this against your younger/under performing teammates. Without these things already in your record, it's hard to have this swagger. About the only few people I've seen have this swagger without SBs are guys like Boomer and Marino, but they had MVP's and league-wide respect as the top dog QB (in the case of Marino) going for them.

So I guess more than disagreeing, I'm adding nuance. Also stating that with wins, Dalton can become a leader by swagger more than the leader by example that he is currently.

Edit:
I will add that Elway (before he won the super bowl) probably had the swagger too, but I don't know for sure, because of his arm strength, clutch performances and toughness. And Boomer, was probably one of the few who had this swagger naturally as a character trait, as a force of personality, which you can still see when he does his commentary on TV. He is one of the fewest who even if he wasn't the greatest talent at QB (not saying he wasn't talented, but compared to Marino and Elway, wouldn't quite match up), his personality alone would make him a natural born leader.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tom Brady and Andy Dalton against Texans - masterpanthera_t - 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM