Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Week of Trump
(01-30-2017, 06:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: An eternity?  No.  A very significant amount of time?  Absolutely.  What almost happened doesn't matter at all, what did, does.  And yes, it was a typo.

We did not invade N. Korea, we responded to an invasion by North Korea.  We did not invade North Vietnam, we responded to an invasion by North Vietnam.  We did not invade Iraq, the first time, we responded to an invasion by Iraq.  The second Iraq war is the biggest blunder in US history, I've never stated anything other than that opinion.  Regardless, there is no comparison between the military as it is viewed in this country and how it was viewed in Imperial Prussia.  The military was absolutely worshipped in the Kaiser's Germany, the military as recently as 40 years or so ago was reviled in this country by many.

Careful, you're making my point for me.  Why, under similar economic circumstances did American democracy survive and the Weimer Republic vanish?

Not even close.  Germany saw open warfare in the streets between the SA and the communists.  The closest comparison in US history were the strike busting riots.  Mind you, the political warfare in Germany encompassed the entire country, no area was immune.  What's going on in our government now is not even remotely comparable.

They lacked a government thought of as legitimate.  The criminal justice system is an extension of the government.

How the criminal justice system functions is less important than the populace having faith in it.  Sure, there is a significant portion of our population that takes issue with the system as it currently exists.  There are more who do not.

There are some, but they are weak and tenuous.  I also firmly believe that the comparison is a harmful one for the exact same reason.  The left is fast becoming "the boy who cried Nazi".

On this we agree, neither candidate would have had a mandate, but quite honestly a mandate is just a word used to bully your opponents into not opposing your agenda. Trump won, he's implementing the policies he ran on.  Quite honestly the only surprise for people should be that a politician actually followed through on multiple campaign promises within nine days of taking office.

Our democracy is fragile, and that has been evident from its formation. Don't take it for granted.

There's a pretty (un)healthy amount of military worship in this country. Even after Vietnam! Talk about making the other person's point! Yes, there was a time when the use of the military was reviled and even the soldiers to some extent, but it was a blip on the radar. Hell I have heard veterans question our deployment of soldiers more than citizens, who don't bat an eye anymore when Johnny goes marching off.

America chose Roosevelt, which was the best thing to ever happen to it. Germany chose Hitler, the worst thing to happen to it. And ever since Roosevelt's last term there has been a small subculture hell bent on doing everything it can to undo all the good FDR did, and it appears to be culminating in electing (sorry, I'm going to say it) a fascist. I won't call him the H word, he's his own man, but the size "F" shoe fits. There were people in 1933 and every year after accused of crying wolf (though fewer each year). They were correct too.

People from Black Lives Matter to the Bundy crew to the people chanting "lock her up" at Trump rallies to the talking heads on Fox News to stoners to the people pissed about the electoral college - a lot of people see our gub'mint as illegitimate. Hell, some of the leading Republicans and Trump politicos trumpet (pardon the pun) this message.

To your last point, I heard many a Trump supporter say, 'OK, you are right he is crazy, but the President doesn't have that much power. He can't really do anything. Congress has to do stuff.' So, yeah, HIS supporters are surprised he is doing crazy shit they didn't think he could.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.

Messages In This Thread
One Week of Trump - Bengalzona - 01-27-2017, 09:24 PM
RE: One Week of Trump - xxlt - 01-27-2017, 09:34 PM
RE: One Week of Trump - Dill - 01-28-2017, 12:44 AM
RE: One Week of Trump - bfine32 - 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM
RE: One Week of Trump - GMDino - 01-27-2017, 10:16 PM
RE: One Week of Trump - Bengalzona - 01-28-2017, 12:34 AM
RE: One Week of Trump - TheLeonardLeap - 01-28-2017, 12:43 AM
RE: One Week of Trump - jason - 01-27-2017, 10:18 PM
RE: One Week of Trump - xxlt - 01-28-2017, 07:30 AM
RE: One Week of Trump - xxlt - 01-30-2017, 02:41 PM
RE: One Week of Trump - xxlt - 01-30-2017, 05:35 PM