Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Cincinnati campus officer shoots and kills unarmed black male
(07-26-2015, 03:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Report: No evidence of homicide in death of Sandra Bland

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Waller-County-authorities-to-release-more-details-6401698.php

To me this still doesn't excuse the officer for escalating a simple traffic stop and her being in jail for three days.

It wouldn't excuse or condemn the officer's actions if she had been killed either.  One has nothing to do with the other.

Quote:I'm also curious to see how they explain a large amount of marijuana in her system three days later...or at all since they officer didn't not anything about drugs in his "arrest".

You're actually curious as to how someone got drugs in a detention facility?  It happens all the damn time, it's not difficult at all.

Quote:Short of that though it will be found a suicide and the officer will be free to do it again.

Do what again?  Lose his temper?  He's being disciplined for failing to follow proper procedure, the system is working as intended in this instance.  Bland could have easily not been in jail, she could have posted bond.  Many people, obviously ignorant of how the bail system works, have complained that she couldn't raise the $5,000 bail to go free.  Problem is she was referred to a bail bondsmen and they only require a non-refundable 10% of your bail amount.  So Bland and her family, that publicly cares so much for her, couldn't be bothered to raise $500 so she wouldn't have to stay in jail.  Now, I don't know about you, but I'd post $500 bond for a decent friend, much less a family member. 

Even further, and this in no way exculpates the officer's erroneous actions, Bland could have just kept her cool and gone on her way with a traffic citation.  Is the onus on her to be the calm, level headed one?  In many ways yes.  Around twelve years ago I was publicly berated by a superior, who was totally in the wrong btw.  I could have gone off and defended my position, and been completely correct, but it wouldn't have been smart.  So I did the adult thing and said, "Yes, sir" and "No, sir" and moved on.  The same superior, who was/is still known for being a hard ass who will chew you out in egregious fashion later came to me and apologized when he realized he was wrong.  He even offered to publicly apologize in front of everyone who was present when he berated me.  I told him it wasn't necessary and that I appreciated his apology.  This same person was later instrumental in my securing a promotion and is one of my biggest proponents to this day.  You think I'd have gotten the same result if I had lost my cool, justifiably, to a person in a superior position?

The bottom line is this, Bland is not the paid professional in this situation, but she has an even greater reason (i.e. self preservation) to keep her cool than the officer involved.  People have become way too obsessed with the concept of being "disrespected" and they consequently make stupid decisions.  Be the adult, and the smart one, and act in your own best interests.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cincinnati campus officer shoots and kills unarmed black male - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-26-2015, 07:38 PM