Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AJ Green wants that 2014 Defense back.
(02-04-2017, 08:22 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I disagree they threw it up to aj a lot of times assuming he would come down with it. The same thing can be said for Williams now u have 2 big play threats which leaves the middle of the field open for Boyd and eifert to work. We need to get a Center for sure elflien is the best bet imo. They should sign our big 3 and be done with it. That would improve the middle of the line tremendously. I also liked fisher holding RT down near end of year. I think with another off-season he could be a above average RT. A line of Whit boling elflien zeitler fisher would do wonders.

I think people exaggerate the heck out of this. We really don't just blindly chuck it to AJ as much as people say. That said, there's nothing wrong with going WR at 9 IMO. Green is 29 and only has a couple prime years left. We'd have a pretty nice tandem in the meantime. Also agree that we could take a Williams and still fix the line.

(02-04-2017, 11:04 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Even if the defense wasn't ranked low stats-wise... there clearly was a lack of a pass rush.

This team would get killed by most teams they would face in the playoffs... even if they made it that far.

MJ, Peko, and yes even Geno were not good last season.

The offense sputtering only made it worse. Being horrible in the RZ and lack of any kind of run blocking only compounded with most of the line who couldn't pass block well either.

Fix the F'n lines. They need a swift kick in the ass !

I'm starting now to lean on letting Drek walk if it means keeping both Whit & Z and bringing in some contributors in both side of the trenches.

Agree that the pass rush needs help desperately, but Geno had 9 sacks last year and graded out as one of the top DT's. I just think (a) he's spoiled us and (b) people see the lack of pass rush and automatically think our top pass rushers must be failing. It's not Dunlap or Atkins. It's everybody else.

(02-04-2017, 01:24 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Basically, the offense started off with a bang and faded as the season went on due to injuries to Green and Bernard. The defense started poorly but improved as the year went on.

Had both sides of the ball had their sh!t together at the same time, perhaps they would have made the playoffs?

If by bang you mean "7 sacks", I agree. It was obvious early that the line would be a big problem. Same with the RZ. Just like in 2014 (when Eifert was also out), we just could not get passing TDs in the RZ. This was never a problem with Gruden, but it seems we've relied heavily on Eifert since then. Not good considering his health.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: AJ Green wants that 2014 Defense back. - Shake n Blake - 02-04-2017, 02:59 PM