Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Brady unquestionably the best ever?
(02-06-2017, 09:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I don't see a huge gap in talent level between the Pats and 49ers. The Pats have rented a ton of talent through the years. Guys like Seau, Moss, Welker, Revis, Browner, Dillon, Rodney Harrison, Long, etc. They've also had plenty of other talent like Gronk, Seymour, Wilfork, Law, Milloy, etc etc. On top of sound oline play and outstanding coaching. So I don't see much talent difference, but I do see more stability for Brady (same coaches, no HOF backup taking his job) and an easier era for passing by FAR.

I'm not sure why you're comparing Montana to Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez of all people. Montana wasn't some average QB that played lights out in the playoffs. Montana was also a beast in regular season as well. 40,000 yards back when there was only a small handful to pass that once mythical number. 2nd best passer rating ever at the time of his retirement. Despite playing only 11 full seasons, he made 8 Pro Bowls with the same amount of MVPs as Brady (2).

So not only was he fantastic during regular season, he took his game to other worldly levels in postseason. Brady can't say the same and to me that's why Joe is still the GOAT.

Montana won 2 Super Bowl MVPs before Rice was a 49er, and the 49ers were an afterthought prior to Montana taking over.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I guess in response to your OP, there will always be people who question who is the GOAT. 

I just don't think that playing with one coach and staying relatively healthy throughout a career should be considered to Brady's detriment. Yes, passing 40k yards in Montana's era was beastly. Who is to say that passing 60k in this era isn't? Or passing for 50 TDs in a season? Or leading a team to a 16-0 regular season? Or a >2% INT ratio even with all the passing? 

There is really no wrong answer here, but I'll chalk it up to nostalgia factor. Kinda like no matter how good the next Mario Kart game is, the SNES one is still the best. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Brady unquestionably the best ever? - CKwi88 - 02-06-2017, 10:56 PM