Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Which Bengals Player Needs Terminated, Get To The Chopper
(02-07-2017, 03:29 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I guess it depends on your definition of rebuild.

To me - a rebuild would consist of getting a new QB, changing an offensive scheme or defensive scheme.  I don't see those happening.

Now, if we were open to using free agency, this team is not that far way from being in great shape.

QB - Dalton (good shape here)
RB - Hill and Bernard (really bad shape here, Bernard is coming off an ACL and Hill isn't the same as he used to be)
WR - Green, Boyd, Core, Wright (Some promise here, but needs some help if we don't bring LaFell back)
TE - Eifert, Uzomah, Kroft (set here, as long as people stay healthy)
OT - Whitworth, Fisher, Ced (really need Whitworth back, not in bad shape if he comes back)
OG - Boling and Zeitler (good shape here if Z comes back)
C - Well, here's a huge need

So, offensively, if we bring back Zeitler and Whitworth, there isn't a ton of needs.  We need a C and a RB along with a speed WR.  Easily done with good drafting in rounds 2,3,4

DE - Dunlap, MJ, Clarke.  (We are in pretty good shape here, but a speed rusher on the edge in round 1 would be great)
DT - Geno, Sims, Hardison, Thompson, Williams.  (Good shape here, a young stud would help)
LB - Burfict, Vigil, Rey, Maualuga (considering we run a nickel D, this unit is pretty good)
CB - WJ3, Dennard, Dre, Jones, Shaw, Russell (this is a pretty good group)
S - Iloka, Williams, Smith

Honestly, this isn't a huge rebuild.  Bringing back Dre, Whit and Z is huge, but if we do that, there aren't a ton of needs that need to be addressed:

1.  Pass rush (SAM, DE, Hybrid - anyone that would bring some pressure)
2.  RB (with Burkhead up in the air and Gio injured, we need someone in the draft)
3.  C (Feeney, Pocic, Elflein are all good replacements)
4.  WR (don't need a complete guy, just a guy that can spread the field a little to open the middle)

Really, it's not that much of a rebuild - unless we don't sign our own free agents.
Agree with you on Dalton and our need for a push rusher, center and speed at WR. Not sure how were "pretty good" at linebacker tho ? We have one good one in Burfict, Maualuga is a bum, Virgil is unproven and Rey is a serviceable backup at best.  Corner back is a concern for me as well. Pacman if not cut will probably be suspend for a lengthy amount of time and is 33 years old.  Dre is a free agent and a number 2 corner at best with one good season of play. Dennard is gonna be in year 4 and hasn't done a single thing to prove to me he is or will be good,  hopefully WJ3 works out but this is pretty much gonna  be his rookie year and he will more than likely go through growing pains.  Also a ton of wishful thinking on the o-line situation. I think Zeilter is good as gone and I have no idea if Fisher or Ced will work out.  I am confident Whit will be back  and just worried that he might start to show is age at some point, crazy that he played so good at 35. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Which Bengals Player Needs Terminated, Get To The Chopper - lone bengal - 02-07-2017, 06:51 PM