Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos
(02-09-2017, 06:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said: You are happy with the status quo and the best way to keep it is to hire those with similar experiences (qualifications). I on the other hand have no problem seeing what a change agent can do as long as he or she is qualified (legally) to fulfill the position. Especially given our current global bang for the buck. I have seen first hand the benefits that change and diversity have brought to an organization; I doubt the Education game is much different. This lady; as the last 100 before her, is going to be invisible for the next 4-8; it's just something else for congress and society to be divisive about.  

Edit: I fully realize there have not been 100 Secretaries of Education. Used to illustrate a point. 

I guess here's my issue, and why I shake my head when someone says "education got worser, we need an outsider to shake it up."

At the federal level, the Dept. of Ed. was largely just an information facilitator between states for a century. They didn't have any budget, they didn't have any authority, they couldn't issue any mandates. They were mostly there to facilitate conversation between states. And, personally, I see some benefits if they were relegated back to that.

It wasn't till the late 70s when they were elevated to current status, and expanded over the years to have some authority and some budget. And during that time, education metrics have improved. According to stats — not opinions — since they got elevated, we've started graduating more people, testing better, sending more kids to college. So, while I like the idea of less centralization, I have to admit it has worked in education to produce smarter kids. And most of that has been under the guidance of education experts... not billionaires who make money off student loans.

Anecdotal, but using my own house as an example. I didn't start algebra till high school. My son started in fifth grade, 21 years after I graduated school. My daughter (eight years younger than her brother) started it earlier this year in third grade. I was talking to her teacher about it and the school is asking her to work with second grade teachers to start algebra in that level next year. She said they hope to start first graders figuring out 'what is N' by 2020.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So Rob Portman voted to confirm Betsy DeVos - Benton - 02-09-2017, 07:24 PM