Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fanspeak On The Clock Mock
(02-09-2017, 08:55 PM)Whatever Wrote: McKinley has a ton of upside, but needs a lot of polishing.  He has poor functional strength and a lot of bad weight on his frame, so he will either need to gain strength to be a DE or cut weight to play LB.  I had similar thoughts as you about how to work him in, but he is a huge project that won't likely contribute much as a rookie.  To trade away an immediate starter at 9 to get a 1st rounder who won't play much would be a disappointment.

More often than not, first round picks sit the bench under Marvin Lewis.  If you're hoping for a Day 1 starter @ #9, Marvin's history indicates you will be disappointed.  What college DE doesn't need to get stronger for the NFL?  If someone needs to get stronger you can just say that rather than "has poor functional strength and a lot of bad weight."  I've always thought it is was a silly and redundant draft term.  What weight does James Harrison play LBer at?  What DE do you think the Bengals will draft that is going to come in a be a Day 1 starter of the over-rated Michael Johnson?  Hell, Geno Atkins had to sit behind Tank Johnson for a year.  Outside of possibly two DEs in this draft class, any DE the Bengals draft will be a situational pass rusher as part of the rotation.  

Quote:Samuel is pretty inexperienced as a RB at the college level, and will limited in that role because he can't pick up the blitz.  He's a good route runner for a RB, but not for a WR.  He could beat out Erickson as a returner, but he's another project that we won't see early dividends from.

Samuel can be used as a more talented Artrell Hawkins who can also return punts and kicks and rotate as a HB until Gio is ready to return.  Hell, just let him run slants out of the slot or screens out of the backfield and let him use his speed for RAC.  Or just have him run deep like Chris Henry.

If Samuel sucks at picking up the blitz then the coaches shouldn't set him up for failure.

Quote:I see Moton projected as a G mainly due to his bad feet and technique, which is where he played earlier in his career.  Putting Moton at T and Fisher at G is just moving two guys out of their natural position.

Both played G and T in college.  Both were/are projected to play G or T in the NFL.  If either of them had a "natural" position, they wouldn't have played both positions in college and been projected to play both in the NFL.  If Fisher is a "natural" T, why do they insist upon using him as a TE?

Quote:I don't get the Jackson pick at all.  If you bring back Kirk, you have WJIII and Dennard as your 2 and 3 and Shaw and Russell battling for the #4 spot.  Jackson is likely a 3rd round pick for a #6 CB.

Pretty simple.  When is the last time the Bengals made it through a season without a CB going down with an injury?  Dennard and WJIII have a combined 4 starts between them and one of those two doesn't have any NFL statistics at all. Plus I believe Adoree is a better fit as a nickel CB than Dennard or WJIII.  That's just my personal opinion.  That doesn't mean I don't think Dennard or WJIII can't play nickel CB, I just think Adoree would be a better match up against an Edelman type slot receiver.  Plus he has added value as a return man the coaches can occasionally use of offense in a 3 or 4 WR set. His versatility helps protect the team against injury at other positions.

Quote:Walker is a good pick at the end of three, and Elflein is a good value in the 4th.  Hill and Reynolds are good 3rd day prospects.  

What makes these "good"?
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - TKUHL - 01-13-2017, 03:27 AM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - TKUHL - 01-14-2017, 12:45 AM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - TKUHL - 01-14-2017, 12:54 AM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - TKUHL - 01-23-2017, 02:49 PM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - Whatever - 02-09-2017, 08:55 PM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 02-10-2017, 03:00 AM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - Whatever - 02-10-2017, 10:08 PM
RE: Fanspeak On The Clock Mock - SHRacerX - 02-15-2017, 10:42 AM