Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
In case you haven't already figured it out..
Well, there are plenty of teams who pay big bucks for free agents and do almost nothing with them so it's not as if free agency is the cure-all for every teams woes. As pointed out more times than not football and sports in general are young mans games which is why the drafting of young guys out of college works out. It's not like they could just blindly pick people off the social security roles and plug n play them. 
We can argue all day whether the coaching staff is up to the job or not and that's a worthwhile argument to be had, but one thing that isn't in dispute is that in the game you absolutely must have younger and younger players every season and I don't mean to the point of recuiting 4th graders or anything like that. 
Sometimes when people talk about the team and salaries it reminds of the same arguments about running government like a household budget which was and always has been a ridiculous argument. Households can't print money by fiat and never will and football teams can't either. They really don't have a bottomless pit of money to spend. If they spent year after year on high price FAs they eventually have to start cutting good players to pay the light bills and we've seen some really good teams dismantled that way. We're given a general idea of the teams finances, but not really all of the nuts and bolts details and even if it were all made public few people would understand most of the legal gibberish. 
Far from being an open book available to anyone to  scrutinize daily the league and teams books are more than anything more like an enigma not intended to be understood. Every player has an agent and probably an entire team of lawyers all with their grubby mits waiting for their paycheck and the league and team have to negotiate with them to figure out where the money is going to go. I suspect that doesn't leave much wiggle room to get it right year after year.
Anyway..too much nonsense for one day from me. If they win then great! If not then oh well.. It's not going to change my life one way or the other. Either way it's entertainment and the question then becomes if it's sufficiently entertaining enough to keep my interest. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: In case you haven't already figured it out.. - grampahol - 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM