Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fact that our o line was so bad and theres already questions
(02-20-2017, 03:09 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: No doubt, but the possibility exists that Fisher performs better at RT after a focused camp and preseason. At least that alone should flush out whether he should be there or not. As it looks now, I think it's probably Fisher's job to lose. Getting a competent/experienced backup is likely the best we'll see there. Which could still be Winston, if his body can be counted on to deliver.

I don't know how much better Bodine can improve, or if that's a possibility. Boling and Zeitler have provided enough stability for him to grow at C, and we've all seen the results. What are those 'little things' he needs to work on to improve? Can he learn and actually do them? And if he can't, when will the staff look to upgrade? 

Like Whitworth and Boling, Zeitler has proven to be a keeper. Beyond his talent, I'm thinking about the value of continuity and chemistry for the line as a unit. In my previous post, I was projecting what I thought the staff might do - not what I was hoping they would do. TJ Johnson showed some competency late in the season that was a relief to see, kinda/sorta. It solidified his value to the team at a minimum. But does he have the talent to move up to starter? Dunno. Westerman and Hopkins (to a lessor extent) are unknowns to some significant degree, at least in 2017 terms. And a "Leary" might just be a patch.

However it all shakes out though, 2017 will likely start out as only marginally better at best. The correction to '16's woes will not happen quickly, but keeping Whit and Zeitler seems to be the best chance of keeping 2017 from being a long and unsuccessful season for sure. Time of possession has to improve, points per game have to increase, etc - all to minimize exposing the weaknesses on defense, should we fail to improve pass rush and maintain secondary play.

Great post brother. Spot on about chemistry being the main reason why you keep both Whit and Zeit.

Just been reading a lot about Zeitler testing the market which is dumb by us if we want to keep chemistry on
the O-line. After a season where your weakness was the O-line you don't just let one of your good players go
if you want to improve. You get rid of the poor players and add to the good, not the other way around.

Assuming Zeitler gets paid well somewhere else which i think is a good assumption right now i would...

-Bring back Whitworth for atleast a year, maybe the franchise tag.
-Bring in Ronald Leary or Chance Warmack at RG.
-Bring in Ricky Wagner at RT and have him as a starter regardless once Whit leaves, at LT or RT.
-Draft one of the top Centers whether it is Elfein, Toth, Pocic, Orlovski etc.

It looks even with this Line we would have some chemistry issues early on but this is just going to happen
cause of the way PA and Marv have handled this issue. Gonna have chemistry issues regardless but this OL
could be top tier by mid-season and our entire Offense would improve and so would our Defense because
they wouldn't get tired, running game should be much better.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: The fact that our o line was so bad and theres already questions - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-20-2017, 03:32 PM