Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I would like to ask the left to give me their position on illegal immigration.
(02-20-2017, 06:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't know if it would work or not, but one thing I'd do, and this depends on how realistic it is, is to make the system quicker and easier, and raise the limits if possible. Now I don't know if quicker and easier is a possibility. Maybe there are good reasons it is the way it is.

This is one of the big things to me, is making it easier. But I would also like us to focus on penalizing those that employ the undocumented immigrants, or those that traffic them. I don't think it should be like "hey, you're in, good on you!", but rethinking our policies would be good.

Being here illegally is not a crime. It is against the law, but it is a civil issue, not criminal. The crime that almost all of them are guilty of is illegal entry, which is a misdemeanor. The statute of limitations for almost all federal crimes is 5 years. Why can't we have a path to citizenship in place with that in mind?

As to the racism bit, I've never really heard that bandied about as casually as you seem to have. I see it used when people talk in a negative way about groups of people with information not based in facts but instead in misleading propaganda, but the idea of improving our border security and deporting undocumented immigrants is not something that I have seen generate that kind of label so readily.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: I would like to ask the left to give me their position on illegal immigration. - Belsnickel - 02-20-2017, 06:41 PM