Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Military-Style’ Firearms Aren’t Protected By Second Amendment, Court Rules
(02-24-2017, 12:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Also I am no expert on firearms, and especially not rifles, but it seems we like to outlaw things that look nasty, but are less dangerous than many other rifles.  I am thinking that was what you were alluding to with the Barrett and the Lapau, but I really don't know what those weapons are.

While those are arms, that is more in reference to the rounds they use which are also used in other arms. There is a round called the .50 BMG, which is a half-inch in diameter and is used in anti-material sniper rifles. It is the high profile round used for those, however it is being replaced with the .416 Barrett because the round has a similar charge to it, but a smaller projectile, meaning it will have a higher velocity and often travel further and straighter. The .338 Lapua is a similar situation, though more of an anti-personnel round for long distance shooting. This isn't to say the .50 BMG and .416 Barret arms are not used for anti-personnel action, just that they weren't technically designated for that because according to modern conventions we are not supposed to use rounds larger than .30 caliber on personnel in warfare.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: ‘Military-Style’ Firearms Aren’t Protected By Second Amendment, Court Rules - Belsnickel - 02-24-2017, 12:22 PM