Poll: Does the American government need to be brought crashing down?
This poll is closed.
Yes! It no longer works. Destroy the current system!
50.00%
3 50.00%
No! It works. Let it be!
50.00%
3 50.00%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Bannon right about this one thing?
(02-23-2017, 04:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, those of you commenting, what do you think about our representation in Congress? Our electoral process? Our system of government in general? I am just curious if people have thought about those sorts of things.

I often think about the parliamentary system because the framers intended very little power to go to the Executive. They didn't envision the average citizen engaging with the federal executive branch in their lives, let alone daily. But now, we interact with them every day of our lives whether we know it or not. I feel like the expansion of the authority of the executive needs to be checked as it has been usurping more and more from the branch of the people, the legislature.

Instead of "blowing up" our system of government, I suggest many issues would be resolved by making all elected officials serve 1 term. Make it of varying lengths (for example, President - one 8 year term, Senator - one 10 year term, Representative - one 6 year term) but make it one term. Then these people wouldn't be focused on getting re-elected and there would be a wealth of new ideas. 

It's not perfect, there still would be the problem of idiots being elected, lobbyists having too much control AND these changes would need to be made by the very people who would be affected by them, however, I think it's better than trying to start over from scratch (which would require even more than just those in Washington).
[Image: giphy.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Bannon right about this one thing? - PhilHos - 02-24-2017, 12:35 PM