Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘Military-Style’ Firearms Aren’t Protected By Second Amendment, Court Rules
(02-24-2017, 12:40 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You did highlight something that deserves further mention, the "untrained civilian".  No one who owns firearms should be untrained.  I'd be willing to wager heavily that your standard AR owner is much better trained on the use of their firearms than the average gun owner who owns a pistol or two and a shotgun.  Regardless, gun owner and untrained don't belong together.

I would agree with everything you said here, but when I referred to untrained I was referring more towards untrained in the use of a firearm in a high-pressure situation. I could tell you that every firearm owner I personally know can safely and accurately use their firearms (which isn't true for every gun owner, as we all know, and that should change), but I can tell you that I am only certain that 5% of them would be able to handle themselves in a high-pressure situation. That's not to say some of the others wouldn't, myself included in that other 95%, but we haven't had the type of training that goes along with using a firearm in a situation where you are actually defending yourself from attack.

Now, your statement about being trained probably still holds true because I would be willing to bet that the percentage of AR owners that have military or law enforcement training is higher than the percentage of overall firearm owners that have, but that is more of the training I am referring to.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: ‘Military-Style’ Firearms Aren’t Protected By Second Amendment, Court Rules - Belsnickel - 02-24-2017, 12:49 PM