Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Issues Start with the Lines
(02-28-2017, 08:25 PM)J24 Wrote: Realistically I think the offensive line is an overrated issue by the fans. We had two really bad players in bodine and OGbughie but the rest were good. Sign Mangold, Draft a RG(unless they like westerman) , and I think Fisher would be solid for them.
Defensive Line is much bigger because we really only have two major pass rushing threats and Thier seems to be no cheap solution out in the free agency market. We need a nickel DT to replace gilberry and another edge rusher would be nice.

You say 2 really bad players on the OL, like it's some small thing.  It's 40% of the OL...  It's also much trickier to fix, than what might meet the casual observer's eye. 

OL gains part of their strength as a unit, from playing beside one another.  They know each other's strengths, weaknesses, all of each other's hobbies, interests, and names of all their immediate family members.  Simply drafting a couple of prospects and plugging them in, just doesn't really work that well.  It takes reps together, as a unit, to develop cohesiveness.

Best scenario for the OL is to re-sign Whit, do their best to re-sign Zeitler,  and make some hard choices concerning the developmental players that they have under contract.  They really swung and missed on Ogbuehi, and this is generally considered a weak draft class, as far as LT prospects go.  The real replacement needs to be at OL coach (but we know that won't happen).  So, even though I hate Bodine, and really think that his ass sucks canal water, he did show at least signs of improvement, as last year wore on.  On the bench, we saw limited action from TJ Johnson, and he looked rather underwhelming.  Aside from preseason reps, crickets from Westerman and Hopkins, so that tells me that the staff isn't comfortable with either of them.  Jake Fisher, I think that he will continue to develop into a reliable to good player at RT.

Best short term remedy is to get a veteran G, in the likely event that Zeitler is no longer with the team.  A veteran will adapt more quickly than a fresh body, from the standpoint of melding in with existing personnel.  Step two, draft heavy on the interior of the OL.  This is a great year to load up on C and G, why not take advantage of it?  As for LT, we will have to hope that Whit can maintain his level, and really hope that next year's class is better than this year's.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our Issues Start with the Lines - J24 - 02-28-2017, 08:25 PM
RE: Our Issues Start with the Lines - SunsetBengal - 02-28-2017, 08:57 PM
RE: Our Issues Start with the Lines - J24 - 02-28-2017, 09:48 PM