Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were not as good a drafting team as everyone thinks
(03-01-2017, 06:03 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Shouldn't Andre Smith be considered a flop given he was selected 6th overall? He was solid, but was never consistently dominant like Anderson, Jones, Steinbach, Whitworth, or even Zeitler.

Also, what's considered a high pick? Just rounds 1 and 2?
Since 1995, here are the first and second round OL:
Willie Anderson
Levi Jones
Eric Steinbach
Andrew Whitworth
Andre Smith
Kevin Zeitler
Cedric Ogbuehi
Jake Fisher

If we're including the third round, what about OL Melvin Tuten (1995), Ken Blackman (1996), Mike Goff (1998)? I don't really remember them because while I occasionally watched in the 90's, I didn't start paying much attention until 2001 (high school). But I don't ever hear these OL mentioned as being really good OL.

Besides, for me, a good position coach is better gauged over what he can get out of mid-late round picks, not having good first and second round players. Look at all the poor centers that were drafted. Anthony Collins never earned a true starting spot in Cincinnati and was a disaster when he went to TB to become a starter. Stacy Andrews, Scott Kooistra, Otis Hudson, Reggie Stephens, Tanner Hawkinson, Reid Fragel...all bad.

Good point about Dre and all of the rest here....and he left Evan Mathis on the bench.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were not as good a drafting team as everyone thinks - Wyche'sWarrior - 03-01-2017, 06:37 PM