Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuing to Put Money into a Clunker
(03-02-2017, 01:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You completely ignored the fact that a team known for honoring deals is going to be more attractive to players they are looking to sign than teams known for yanking contracts away from players. Not saying good or bad, but it is a factor to consider....

Yeah, but they don't sign anybody. But you're right, that works in their favor when guaranteeing dollars. I read an article a few years back that detailed the thought process. Essentially, some teams who are more than likely to part ways earlier have to guarantee more than someone like us.

So we could offer an identical length contract with slightly less total dollars, equal or less guarantees, and win out vs a team that is known for cutting bait.

But it's kinda meaningless when you never sign anyone. And it doesn't apply as much to in-house deals because what drives those deals is 1.) You can control their rights. 2.) Earlier guarantee/less risk in waiting for open mark 3.) The ability to tag 4.) Familiarity with organization, co-workers, neighborhood, schools, etc.

I didn't intend to ignore anything. I just thinking floating the idea that we honor deals to strengthen our hand in signing free agents seems kind of silly. And even still, parting ways with someone like Adam Jones does nothing to hurt the perception that you take care of your own. Everyone in the league is wondering why he's still here.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Continuing to Put Money into a Clunker - Wes Mantooth - 03-02-2017, 02:22 PM