Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well here's the liberal compassion I've heard so much about.
(03-04-2017, 12:27 AM)Dill Wrote: Your article has some good ideas, and "questioning" is certainly a viable alternative to logical argument in some contexts.
That was in fact Socrates' preferred approach--though in his questions always turned out to be a logical argument in disguise, and sometimes a very aggressive one.  Sounds like, if you want to persuade people to a different track for the next election, better get your questions started now, because questions take a while.

At the heart of that article, though, is the implicit recognition of the diminished role of logic and evidence in political discourse. Now we are living in an age in which political arguments relying on logic and evidence are inherently biased.

I think at the root of that rejection is a lack of understanding/knowledge of how logic and evidence work, or used to work, in political arguments.  History affords us with examples when they appear to have worked, usually with happy results.
(E.g., the Federalist Papers.)

I am like Johnny MF'ing Appleseed planting the seeds of thought, out there.
I've been visiting Libertarian Affiliates in adjoining counties, discussing the most productive ways to approach people.
Many Libertarians seem to have too much aggression and come off as condescending, when attempting to educate others about the party.
You have to make people comfortable and start with asking what's important to them.
Usually there's a commonality to be had, within the first question, to build off of.
I've been told that I have "a gift" for this kind of discussion.
I'm just me and I know it's going to take cooperation from to everyone to prosper.
I fully intend on inviting EVERYONE to my county affiliates meetings.
I'll even invite the leaders of our local Democratic and Republican parties, to share notes and plan for common goals.

(03-04-2017, 12:27 AM)Dill Wrote: Have you ever read any of George Lakoff's work? He seems like someone genuinely interested in understanding how liberals and conservatives communicate, and how to enable communication between them.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467716.html

I have not, but I most certainly will now.
Thank you !
Any resource that helps advance Liberty is greatly appreciated.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Well here's the liberal compassion I've heard so much about. - Rotobeast - 03-04-2017, 08:55 AM