Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why don't the Bengals cut players?
(03-07-2017, 07:57 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: One of the very few things that our front office does well is keep our dead money low. Brown doesn't like to pay players to begin with, much less cutting them and having to pay them some sort of money to not even play for him. I think that is the biggest reason he is loyal. It has nothing to do with hoping it will draw players here because we honor the life of the contract. That doesn't tend to be something we hear any players saying on why they chose here. I think Mike Brown would rather pay someone more than they're worth to play than to pay them a dime and them not play.

Don't get me wrong, some of these guys are no longer guaranteed anything, but why cut Maualuga and his $3m when people will expect you to replace him which would probably cost more. For us fans, we tend to look at things logically and the same way that most teams in the league do. Player stops performing, is underperforming, is being overpaid, whatever the case may be, you begin to look for replacements and cut said player. The Bengals obviously do not operate in the same universe. Our turnstile C, worst RT in the league, and our atrocious K kept getting paraded out week after week regardless of the fact they were directly costing the team wins. Tell me again how we're just like Baltimore, Pittsburgh, New England, and these other post season success having teams. We say we follow their model, but we're not even remotely close.
This likely explains why over-the-hill players play and the young Turks ride the bench.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why don't the Bengals cut players? - Derrick - 03-07-2017, 10:25 PM