Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responding to words with violence?
(03-08-2017, 02:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Don't you carry concealed?  Or is that the mostly intact part?

I have a concealed carry permit mainly for the ease of transportation. Without a permit I would have to have my firearm unloaded and separated by at least an arm's length from the ammunition or (and this is preferred) in a separate, locked compartment if I am in my vehicle with my firearm. I honestly could not tell you the last time that I actually carried a firearm concealed in public, but being able to have my range bag in the front seat is much more convenient.

The other reason for it is because of bears. The county I'm in usually has the highest bear kill count for a reason, and if you spend a good deal of time in the woods you will run into them. I prefer to make a lot of noise and chase them off, but I've had a mama bear come at me and it took five .44 slugs, the grip of said .44, and a big stick to fend her off. Playing dead also doesn't work for black bears, they may just start eating on you. So if I am out in the woods there are times when I will have a .44 tucked in my jacket (I have a cross-body holster for it that is very comfortable).

But yeah, I love to shoot. It was a sport I engaged in a lot when I was younger because my fat ass didn't have to run for it. And the mostly intact part would be self-defense. If someone comes at you with a weapon, I have no problem with someone getting violent in response. Such situations are, by my moral code, acceptable. But my interpretation of the stories that lead Christians to pacifism are not that Jesus was saying be non-resistant. It's just that the non-violence resistance doesn't work in those immediate, life threatening situations.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Responding to words with violence? - Belsnickel - 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM