Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Brady unquestionably the best ever?
(03-10-2017, 06:07 PM)Pape Wrote: You do realize the 5 yard Chuck Rule was put into the NFL in 1978, right? The enforcement has been nconsistent, but its been there for almost 30 years now. It covered Montana, Marino, Young, Favre, Elway, Esiason, etc.

and you can argue all you want about rules etc and different eras, but come on, Brady has led the Patriots to 7 Super Bowls, and has won 5 of them. 5 freakin Super Bowls. He also authored a 16-0 regular season. All with a bunch of, with the exception of a few star names, a bunch of players most teams would describe as "depth". He makes players better. To say he would be no more than average on another team is disingenuous at best.

The 5 yard chuck rule might have been around, but as you said, it was not enforced at all, and certainly not like it is today.

And I stand by my statement, he wouldn't survive in any other era. He can not, I repeat, he can not take being hit at all. He benefits from the rules of don't touch his head, don't go low, hell if your hand slaps the helmet it is 15 yards now...that is just pathetic. If he was on a team that didn't have the scheme the Pats do, he would be average. 

You say he elevates players, I say the system in New England elevates players and coaches. Matt Cassel 11-5 in New England, leaves and sucks. It's an amazing trend to watch. 

How many guys have left New England and had even close to the same level of success...I can't think of a single player. Brady would be no different. He'd be good...middle of the pack Andy Dalton, like...which is exactly what average is.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Brady unquestionably the best ever? - Murdock2420 - 03-10-2017, 06:27 PM