Poll: What has been the biggest problem with the run game during this 11 year span?
Lack of talent at the RB position
Paul Alexander/Blocking schemes
RB coaches
Other (explain)
There is no problem. I'm a giant homer and negativity makes me sad.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What is the problem with the run game?
Absolutely, Paul Alexander.  He makes it no secret that he values pass protecting ability over run blocking.  Furthermore, his propensity to fall in love with the annual bench press reps champ (see Russell Bodine, Christian Westerman), is totally 1991 mentality.  Run blocking ability is something that is instinctual, a man must have the natural aggression to want to physically dominate another man of equal or larger size.  Some teams use other metrics when judging OL potential.  Things like hand size, broad jump, and short shuttle. 

Alexander claims to run a zone blocking scheme, but he certainly cannot perfect it.  Look at the Denver Broncos.  They are the ones that perfected the zone blocking scheme, they had great success in producing a series of 1K+ yardage backs, with one of the smallest OL averages in the league.  Zone blocking requires power, quickness and agility, in order to execute well orchestrated blocking schemes.  Above all, zone blocking requires synchronistic execution by all 5 components of the OL in a fluid motion.  How may times can you say that Alexander had our OL performing in perfect symphony in the running game?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is the problem with the run game? - SunsetBengal - 03-13-2017, 07:15 PM