Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
(03-13-2017, 11:12 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Devil's advocate: For those upset about Whit leaving, would you then be mad if Ogbuehi never played and was yet another young guy that never played when Whit was 38, perhaps (likely declining) and a first-round pick walked out the door wondering who he is?
For those upset about Dre being given $52.5 million, would you then be mad if he left because the team "never pays their own?"
I'm not asking to be a d--- but just curious, from the fan point of view.

I do understand some of this is rooted in the "Bengals salary cap" they operate under. But here's the thing, all: Bengals.com is owned by the team. Geoff works for the team. Not quite sure what you're expecting there.

Now, yes, we have also reported the salary cap the Bengals choose to operate with. This is not a tacit approval, merely reporting. Obviously that is a source of frustration/anger in general.

I don't get upset with you about what you report, it's just hard not to get frustrated by the team. We all know Hobson is the mouthpiece, but it gets old knowing exactly what he's going to say. Everyone we let walk is a good move, everyone we sign will find his fire from 12 seasons ago and be a world beater. Every drafted player and UDFA is a first ballot HOFer in the making.

As a fan, I'd just like the truth. We all know it already, just be straight up about it. Hey, we're ***** cheap. Mike Brown values money above all else. We're going to spend as little as we can possibly get away with. We'd still be pissed, but at least they wouldn't have to waste their time trying to make up fake, bullshit excuses.

We stay below the cap, rollover money each year, and then limit the amount we're going to spend. We don't go after any impact free agents, we place our own Mike Brown value on players (team be damned), and we value comp picks more than winning now. We constantly hear about how we have modeled ourselves after other winning franchises, but we don't do anything like them except draft players.

Being a Bengals fan is it's own special kind of hell. It's a frustration like no other. While we sit on a huge amount of cap space, we watch teams with half do so much more while we keep hearing they have to save for future extensions.

None of this is directed at you. Just venting. Some of it has to do with it being the offseason. Once the games are back, that will help some.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Okeana - 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Burma - 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - nkets - 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - muskiesfan - 03-14-2017, 12:19 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 03:45 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM