Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
(03-13-2017, 11:12 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Devil's advocate: For those upset about Whit leaving, would you then be mad if Ogbuehi never played and was yet another young guy that never played when Whit was 38, perhaps (likely declining) and a first-round pick walked out the door wondering who he is?
For those upset about Dre being given $52.5 million, would you then be mad if he left because the team "never pays their own?"
I'm not asking to be a d--- but just curious, from the fan point of view.

I do understand some of this is rooted in the "Bengals salary cap" they operate under. But here's the thing, all: Bengals.com is owned by the team. Geoff works for the team. Not quite sure what you're expecting there.

Now, yes, we have also reported the salary cap the Bengals choose to operate with. This is not a tacit approval, merely reporting. Obviously that is a source of frustration/anger in general.

But, Ogbuehi has played and not very well. Granted it is a small sample size in the NFL, but would you feel comfortable giving him the starting LT job? And how much can he realistically improve with one healthy offseason of coaching? (Assuming the shoulder injury which landed him on the IR is healed.) Right now, what is their plan B if he continues to play like he did last year? Whit is still playing at a high level. The Rams signed him at $3 million more per season than the Bengals paid him last season, right? Given the dearth of OT talent in the draft and Ogbuehi's play, I don't think $12/season for Whit is ridiculous. Nor would it destroy their salary cap situation. The salary cap increased by $12 million this year. That's Whit's salary right there. Plus, having Whit at LT (or even LG as Whit said he was open to a change) would allow the Ogbuehi another year to develop at tackle, it would give the Bengals a greater sample size to evaluate Ovbuehi's development, and if Ogbuehi struggles this season a better plan B to reshuffle the line.

Kirkpatrick: this year's draft is flush with DB talent. If a team needs a DB, this should be a good year to draft one. I would have rather lost Kirkpatrick in free agency and drafted a replacement in this year's draft rather than lose Whit and install Ogbuehi without any competition to win the job.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Okeana - 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Burma - 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - nkets - 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - oncemoreuntothejimbreech - 03-14-2017, 10:27 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 03:45 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM