Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comp picks dictating FA approach
(03-15-2017, 02:27 AM)phil413 Wrote: Well then I "reported" this the day before Hobspin: Hilarious http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-2-3-Million-left-in-Cap-Space?pid=357586#pid357586

Truth is, the general plan is something we all can see, though they're historically patient to line up visits, they seemed VERY deliberate this time around to wait for Peko's deal to be announced. I believe it was 200k more annually less than the one UFA (not cut vet) Andre Smith was offered. I wonder if the LB's were offered that same specific deal and no more (as to tear into Whit's comp pick) until they get the figures from Rex's deal. Barwin is the exception, he was released and wouldn't count against comp picks...they're just waiting for the right number. The Bengals didn't do a job of "keeping their own", but we're usually murmuring about back end or scrub players returning. Instead, they're just waiting for some of these guys to leave it seems to then safely move onto the next player. Watch them settle on a LB for just under Rex's deal, then try to sign one. I didn't believe in that 2-3mil number being in stone, but the way they're kicking tires this they're being very deliberate in waiting for someone to leave and signing someone in place just below them instead of bringing in only cut vets. Cutting their losses, signing fringe players and keeping a 3rd for Zeitler and maybe a 4th (not sure I get why it's a 5th) for Whitworth.

Great observations. I think the best thing to do at this point would be to sign Barwin to a fair (not ultra-cheap) contract, draft the best DE at #9, and at least get the DL back to where they can get to the QB.
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - McC - 03-14-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - McC - 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - J24 - 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - lostpoet2 - 03-15-2017, 05:54 AM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - CJD - 03-15-2017, 07:54 AM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - McC - 03-16-2017, 07:50 PM