Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
Thanks for playing along, all.
I’ll do my best to hit on some of these more interesting comments…

My only real complaint is that we were fed this whole "we sign our own" stuff and then it doesn't happen.  

Factually speaking: Of the current roster: Atkins, Bernard, Boling, Burfict, Dalton, Dunlap, Green, Hewitt, Huber, Iloka, Kirkpatrick, Maualuga, Rey, Williams all were original draft picks or college signings that got a second deal.
Harris, Johnson, Sims, Jones were guys who got a second deal, even if it was coming back.

That’s 34% of the roster, and all starters and/or All-Pros. I’m not going to go through every team’s roster but I’d venture to say that’s at or near the top of the league. And this isn’t counting guys like Leon Hall, Peko, Whit, Chad Johnson, Palmer, Rudi Johnson, etc.

I understand people get mad when Marvin Jones or Kevin Zeitler or Johnathan Joseph leave, but it’s just feasible to retain every player you draft.

Worse yet, we keep getting this shit about the team not signing any UFAs because it would affect comp picks.

This is a legit gripe.

We constantly hear about how we have modeled ourselves after other winning franchises, but we don't do anything like them except draft players. 

This is also fair. The team has seemed unusually rigid since Antonio Bryant in the UFA market, or even trading for Reggie Nelson.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Zeitler and Whitworth comp picks are safe so long as they don't sign someone for above what the 3rd loss (Dansby at the time) signed for. They'll likely lose more UFA's than they gain quantity wise, 

That is true. Remember, Whitworth only gains a fifth-rounder due to rules that say a player who is 30 years old or older and has 10 accrued seasons. But yes, they can protect those. And yes, that second statement is also true.

Everytime we get a good to great players if we don't lock them up the year before their contact is up you can say goodbye to them because our owner is to much of a cheapskate to outbid anyone.

Factually speaking:
Since I’ve been covering the team, Green, Bernard, Williams and Hewitt have been locked up early. I know Dalton, Atkins and Dunlap were, too. This is what the team prefers to do with that roll over money. Remember – takes two to tango. See below…

Kirkpatrick wouldn't have cost half as much as he cost us if he would have been extended last year!!

Who’s to say he wanted to be?

but more upset that he was kept over Whit and Zeitler.

It wasn’t one over or for another.

Right now, what is their plan B if he continues to play like he did last year?

Great question. Still don’t know.

Also, the $12 million salary cap increase could cover Zeitler's salary.

It went up $10 million and that is for just one year. Zeitler’s money is over the following four.

They could have afforded both.  All they had to do was cut Pacman and Maualuga. 

Not really. For this year, it would have opened $10 million or so for this season. Maualuga has no money owed after this season and Jones’ salary would have saved around $8 in ’17. It’s a club option in ’18.

What really irks me in all of this that had an extension been done earlier (like they said they were saving for before Jim O was in Cincy with the Enquirer as a reason to justify sitting on their ass in FA), they would be getting Zeitler for a steal right now.

Zeitler should not have been lowballed last season with offer to extend that would have avoided this bidding war with Hue. 

I can tell you right now Zeitler would not have been signed for a steal. At any point. He was set on hitting the market, or setting the market. Was it a lowball? Back in 2015 Clint Boling’s deal was a top 11 contract for a guard. Maybe they would have moved to a top 10 deal? Going forward, the market exploded.

Just get players worth a shit, and cut dead weight.....quit worrying about comp picks and rollover money

I get this issue.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Okeana - 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Burma - 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - nkets - 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 03:45 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jowczarski - 03-16-2017, 12:09 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM