Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Had 1st Pick in 2017 Fantasy League Draft ?
MLB Fantasy Baseball is gone. No longer exists. MLB did recommend Yahoo Fantasy site, So yesterday I tried some of their free leagues. Good thing because in the first draft I didn't know what to click to make my pick. After practice in mock draft mode I was back for my second team. Unlike MLB Fantasy, you can't grab the entire Cubs pitching in one pick. So I took pitchers Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, John Lester, Aroldis Chapman and Jeurys Familia before going for hitting. After the draft I saw I was pitching strong, but hitting weak. I tried another team and a draft. This time I took a top hitter first. Trout, Betts, Arenado, and a few others were off the boards but I grabbed Donaldson. I mixed and matched hitting and pitching more. I still got Justin Verlander, just not Max Scherzer. I like those picks more in that draft. I discovered I can get some good depth in pitching late round in Jeremy Helickson, Collin McHugh and just traded Red Dan Straily. These guys get a lot of K's and very good late round picks. I think I could get ex Red Straily last pick, ever draft. The young Miami pitcher died, so Straily will get innings. This kids sad and tragic death is why Miami got Straily from Reds. He is nothing like the pitcher that died, but Straily can go every 5th day and get 150 to 200 K's over the season.

So I learned going for pitching with the # 1 pick is smart if I could get the entire Cubs staff, but if we are just talking one pitcher, then the first pick in baseball is easy. You take Trout. You don't even think about it. You just take Trout. Everybody takes Trout # 1. After he is gone, you try to get at least one top superstar bat on your team. Pitching will be there in round 2, but the players like Trout, Betts, Arenado, Donaldson, Altuve, Bryant and a few others will be long gone.

As for Reds, I got Suarez late in my pitching loaded draft for third base depth. In the draft I mixed it up more, I got Duvall and not all that early. At catcher I could always get Ramos and Molina as late round catcher picks. I think Ramirez ended up my first base on both teams. Even the pitching loaded team I grabbed Pujols to DH. Pujols and McCutchen good values as draft had passed 6 or 7 rounds.

So in baseball, if you are not allowed to draft the entire Cubs staff in one pick and only one pitcher, then everybody takes Trout # 1. The guys that put up huge points go fast. Still, Pujols puts up good points and can be taken not so fast. Most of these leagues need a solid DH for points. Billy Hamilton going early and Albert Pujols, McCutchen and Duvall and Bruce and Longoria are kind of past the top rounds steals. I was very happy to fill out my pitching staff with last round picks Helickson, McHugh and Strailey. I will take them late every time knowing these 3 will put up a lot of K's. I liked drafting hitter, pitcher, hitter, pitcher early. It made a good solid team, On Paper. ( If only the game was played on paper ).....Oh, I quickly hit the free agents on my draft I messed up and my pitching loaded team. The team I mixed it up, I felt no need to hit free agency on day one. The fun of picking names and mascots, My good team is Pink Floyd with pink picture of Floyd The Barber. My pitching loaded team is The 3 Stooges with mascot Curley as avitar. The team I couldn't even draft is Slim Pickens with him as my avitar. My baseball season has started. If nothing else I'll lead the league in funny avitar mascot pictures.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If You Had 1st Pick in 2017 Fantasy League Draft ? - kevin - 03-16-2017, 08:55 AM