Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hybridization of government
(03-16-2017, 10:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK then I don't think I get the hybrid thing.  I know Fannie and Freddie, but I don't really understand how they work.  

I'll use some snippets from that report I linked:

Quote:A brief review of executive branch organizational history is followed by a description of entities with ties to the executive branch, although they are not “agencies” of the United States as defined in Title 5 of the U.S. Code. Several categories of quasi governmental entities are defined and discussed: (1) quasi official agencies; (2) government-sponsored enterprises (GSE); (3) federally funded research and development corporations; (4) agency-related nonprofit organizations; (5) venture capital funds; (6) congressionally chartered nonprofit organizations; and (7) instrumentalities of indeterminate character.

And I will post more later, something came up and I need to drop this browser.

Addition: So, as you can see, there are different types of these entities and as such, defining what one is can be difficult. Some are completely severed from government other than they are created by Congress, some have government appointed advisory boards, some are funded in part by public funding but also engage in the market, and there can be any combination thereof. One very common version is what is called a foundation. The National Park Foundation is a big one at the federal level, but then there are also foundations tied to public schools all over the country as a way to bring in donations that a public organization could otherwise not account for. Most of the athletics departments at public universities would also be quasi government/hybrid.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
Hybridization of government - Belsnickel - 03-11-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: Hybridization of government - Dill - 03-16-2017, 02:42 AM
RE: Hybridization of government - xxlt - 03-16-2017, 07:20 AM
RE: Hybridization of government - Belsnickel - 03-16-2017, 10:46 AM