Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could the Bengals 1st round plan be as simple as OJ Howard?
(03-16-2017, 12:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: I get all that, but the drop off from Howard to the next level of guy in this draft I don't think is huge. Go back and look where guys like Reed, Gronk, Pitta were drafted mid round TE's in deep classes have major value. I think we could get a similar guy with Leggot from Clemson in the 4th creating better value.

You bring up Reed, Gronk, and Pitta. First off, Reed, Gronk, and Pitta were not solid blockers coming out of college. Gronk was considered the best out of the three, and Reed still is really just a receiving TE. Second, all of these TEs are much slower than OJ Howard. Pitta = 4.63 40. Gronk = 4.68. Reed = 4.72. Eifert = 4.68. Howard's time was 4.51. That's GREAT for a 251 lb TE.
Gronk was also a second-round pick because there were questions with his durability, and that proved to be a valid concern. Gronk has missed 24 games in his seven-year career.

You seem to be focused primarily on the receiving aspect of TE, as you mention Leggett. Leggett doesn't offer the blocking that Howard does, plus his ceiling isn't as high. Maybe you like Evan Engram, but he's strictly a receiving TE. Too small to be an inline blocker and hardly any experience doing that. He's really just a big receiver. Hodges has ideal size, but also was rarely used as an inline blocker. Jake Butt is viewed as a less athletic version of Eifert in terms of receiving but has experience and success with inline blocking in college.

Overall, there is a reason OJ Howard is being viewed as the top TE and even has arguments of going in the top half of the draft. He's simply the most well-rounded TE, he tested off the charts at the combine for his size, he has a tremendously high ceiling, and he's NFL-ready from Day 1.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could the Bengals 1st round plan be as simple as OJ Howard? - ochocincos - 03-16-2017, 01:50 PM