Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Open-Minded Liberals at it again
(03-16-2017, 01:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think that's a really good analogy.  In football we have professionals picking people based on talent.  Sure they make mistakes, but there are probably 150 CBs in the NFL and I don't know if any are white.  even on the bottom of the depth chart.

I appreciate you not comparing my position to thinking the world is flat. Here's a great article from the NYT that talks about this reality and points to stereotypes and division at a young age to why a number of positions in the NFL are so segregated. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/12/sports/football/at-some-nfl-positions-stereotypes-reign.html

Quote:Ozzie Newsome, the Baltimore Ravens’ general manager, said the lack of white cornerbacks reflected a failure to see possibilities.

“I was a pretty good quarterback growing up, but when it came to organized football, I knew I should become a wide receiver, because from everything that I was reading, all the blacks were getting their positions changed,” Newsome, a standout N.F.L. tight end from 1978 to 1990, said.

Once he became a receiver, the road to the N.F.L. became clearer. “Now you’ve got some heroes that you can look at; there is someone you can emulate who is black,” he said.

Young white athletes who might aspire to be N.F.L. corners can’t see themselves in that role.
“They’re going through the same thing that I went through when I wanted to play quarterback,” Newsome said. “ ‘Yeah, you can play cornerback, but by the time you get to college, they’re going to move you to safety.’

“I think the stereotype can affect your mentality. If you grow up not seeing something and hearing something your whole life, that starts to impact you: ‘I can’t do this, I’m not good enough to do that.’ And that becomes a part of your life.”

A similar phenomenon is seen in the kicking game. There are no African-American punters or kickers in the N.F.L. While white athletes shy away from cornerback because, in their minds, it requires too much athleticism, many African-American players eschew punting and kicking because it is not athletic enough.

If we suggest it is only race, I am asking what causes them to be better?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Messages In This Thread
Open-Minded Liberals at it again - bfine32 - 02-02-2017, 01:49 AM
RE: Open-Minded Liberals at it again - McC - 02-02-2017, 08:04 PM
RE: Open-Minded Liberals at it again - BmorePat87 - 03-16-2017, 02:08 PM