Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comp picks dictating FA approach
(03-16-2017, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If it was as simplistic as you suggest then any and all changes would be justified.  Maybe we should have Andy Dalton throw the ball with his feet.  Bengal QBs have been throwing with their hands every year and they have not won a playoff game in 26 years.  I mean, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results, right?  So why should we expect to win a playoff game if we keep trying the same thing over and over again with the same results.

Wouldn't logic dictate that if a repeated approach isn't yielding the desired end result, that the approach should be re-examined and altered at some point?

Quote:The fact is that some of the stuff the Bengals are doing is working.  That is why they have won so many games consistently over the last several years.

Again brother, the desired end result has to matter. If the 'process' - regardless of experiencing some success along the way - never produces the desired outcome, then where's the value in repeating that exact process over and over?

Quote:People with truly analytical minds try to look at the evidence and see what is working and what is not working.  That is what I try to do.  Too many people around here just see the mistakes the bengals make and never notice that many other teams do the exact same thing.  They claim that the bengals are the "worst in the league" when in fact they are average.  But when I point out that they are average I get attacked for claiming "Every Bengal player is an All Star and none of the coaches ever make any mistakes".  It is ridiculous.  

The 'evidence' suggests that the process/approach isn't producing the needed outcome. The evidence indicates that a new approach (at least in certain areas) is needed. 

Quote:All I know is that something has to be done about people insisting that any change at all is justified by the fact that the Bengals have not won a playoff game in 26 years.  There is no logic to that argument.  It makes no sense.  The truth is that it is complicated to see what is working and what is not.  There is so much myth and message board BS flying around that many people do not really know what the truth is.

You're right, the Bengals have done some things well and they deserve credit for those things. There's other things they haven't done well and they also deserve criticism for those. 

At the end of the day though, the big picture does matter. That 26 year figure isn't just a meaningless throw away number, it's a glaring reminder that in almost 3 decades...this franchise has yet to figure out a formula that gets them past game 17.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - McC - 03-14-2017, 05:37 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - McC - 03-14-2017, 05:44 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - J24 - 03-14-2017, 08:10 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - CJD - 03-15-2017, 07:54 AM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - McC - 03-16-2017, 07:50 PM
RE: Comp picks dictating FA approach - Bengalholic - 03-16-2017, 04:11 PM