Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trump clears CIA to issue drone strikes
(03-16-2017, 04:34 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed on that, and the difference was why I originally asked (and the bold was why I initially hesitated to respond, as I don't think there's much any of us are going to do to sway those opinions).

And, as a pacifist, I want to do whatever I can to remove the loss of life. If that means exposing fewer soldiers to harm, great. But it also has to do with the brutality you mention. I volunteered with Wounded Warriors for a number of years. Many of their scars aren't physical, and a lot of the depression/mental illness/PTSD/suicides springs from that exposure. One of the ones that's impacted me the most is an old friend in military intelligence. He still keeps a tab of every site he ordered attacked since making the move a decade ago, and the estimated death tolls. They weigh heavier than the combatants he had to kill in person.

And I get that entirely. I don't know if you realize this, though, but those drone pilots are experiencing the same. Even recon drone pilots experience it. Those non-physical scars aren't going to become non-existent with drone warfare.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump clears CIA to issue drone strikes - Belsnickel - 03-16-2017, 04:36 PM