Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
2-3 Million left in Cap Space?
(03-13-2017, 11:12 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Devil's advocate: For those upset about Whit leaving, would you then be mad if Ogbuehi never played and was yet another young guy that never played when Whit was 38, perhaps (likely declining) and a first-round pick walked out the door wondering who he is?
For those upset about Dre being given $52.5 million, would you then be mad if he left because the team "never pays their own?"
I'm not asking to be a d--- but just curious, from the fan point of view.

I do understand some of this is rooted in the "Bengals salary cap" they operate under. But here's the thing, all: Bengals.com is owned by the team. Geoff works for the team. Not quite sure what you're expecting there.

Now, yes, we have also reported the salary cap the Bengals choose to operate with. This is not a tacit approval, merely reporting. Obviously that is a source of frustration/anger in general.

These are fair questions, and I am not opposed to those moves or the Zeitler move at all....but the problem I have is that they continue to pay flaming turds like Adam Jones, Maualuga, and Jeremy Hill when they have absolutely no value (and the Jones bit makes me really mad that his behavior isn't immediately punished).

Those salaries prevent them from signing players that could really help this team.  Conner Barwin?  I would feel a lot better with him rushing the passer next year on passing downs than Michael "I'm going to take a 10 yard arc upfield and I might reach the QB in 8 seconds" Johnson.  I figured a very early pick would be used on a DE, but now, because of a lack of free agent funds (or an obsession with compensatory picks) won't happen and we will be entering the draft with another key need....IMHO, our biggest need next to LT.  

I'm pretty blessed with a good job and I was able to get a scholarship for swimming to pay for my college, so I got a nice head start from that, graduating with no debt.  However a lot of this area is what you would consider "blue collar" and I think they have a real problem with paying people that show up fat, have a severe lack of respect for authority, or simply aren't remotely effective in their job being paid millions of dollars.  The Brown family IS NOT CHEAP.  They are actually letting loyalty affect their judgement on paying these players and I think a lot of folks take exception with it.  They would much rather see effort guys like Rex (Sexy) Burkhead get paid.  

Just my two cents.  Thanks for all you do, Jim.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Okeana - 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-10-2017, 10:52 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - Burma - 03-10-2017, 11:59 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - nkets - 03-10-2017, 11:16 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - SHRacerX - 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 03:45 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - TKUHL - 03-14-2017, 05:48 AM
RE: 2-3 Million left in Cap Space? - jj22 - 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM